The Soulsville Foundation (SF) seeks an experienced, creative, and entrepreneurial professional to elevate and amplify our mission of perpetuating the soul of Stax Records by preserving its rich cultural legacy, educating youth to be prepared for life success, and inspiring future artists to achieve their dreams.
POSITION TITLE: Advancement Director
SUPERVISOR: President and CEO
FLSA STATUS: Full-Time Regular, Exempt
COMPENSATION: $80-$90,000 salary + competitive benefits package
The Advancement Director will shape and lead our approach toward partnerships around resource development, strategic communications, and marketing. This new position oversees a marketing/communications & development teams; reports to the SF President & CEO; and serves as a key member of the SF senior management team.
The Soulsville Foundation (soulsvillefoundation.org) was created in Memphis, Tennessee, in the late 1990s by a group of local business leaders, philanthropists, and former employees of Stax Records to carry forward the rich legacy of the Soulsville USA community, home to Stax Records in the 1960s and 1970s. The mission of Soulsville Foundation is to uplift and invigorate the music and heritage of Stax Records to develop young people for lifelong success, and continue to inspire and transform the world through the power of soul music. In service to this mission, Soulsville Foundation funds and operates three subsidiary organizations on its campus at the original site of Stax:
• Stax Museum of American Soul Music (staxmuseum.com) opened its doors as the first and only soul music museum on the original Stax Records site in 2003. Since then, the Stax Museum has welcomed hundreds of thousands of visitors, sharing the story of American soul music – and especially the “Memphis Sound” – through special exhibits, events and various community outreach programs. An exact replica of the original Stax Records home, the Museum has more than 2,000 cultural artifacts, music exhibits, video footage, and items of memorabilia, all assembled to preserve and promote the legacy of American soul music.
• Stax Music Academy (staxmusicacademy.org) has been mentoring youth since 2000, initially from the surrounding Soulsville USA neighborhood and increasingly from across Memphis, using music as a connector. A highly regarded after-school program housed in a state-of-the-art facility, the Academy personifies the spirit of harmony, respect, and cooperation that defined the legendary Stax Records. The Stax Music Academy annually serves approximately 120 high school and middle school students in its after school program during the school year and approximately 100 high school students during its 5- week Summer Music Experience.
• The Soulsville Charter School (soulsvillecharterschool.org) is a tuition-free public charter school whose mission is to prepare students for success in college and life in an academically rigorous, music-rich environment. Launched in 2005 with 60 students, the school’s current enrollment is 600+ students serving grades 6-12 with an emphasis on college and post-secondary success. The Soulsville Charter School is a force rising up against ordinary expectations and the status quo of public education in Memphis.
- Lead the development and implementation of SF’s strategic approach towards philanthropic, individual, and corporate collaborations, as well as fundraising, marketing, advertising, communication, and event planning initiatives;
- Create and execute a robust fundraising plan that targets ambitious goals, while establishing and maintaining strong connections with other foundations, individual donors, corporate sponsors, small businesses, and public sector agencies;
- Devise and implement a tactical communication plan that effectively involves and updates community members, business entities, and key stakeholders regarding the diverse range of programs and activities on campus;
- Provide overall leadership and management of the creative assets of the organization, including branding, publications, events, policy papers, websites, and social media feeds;
- Actively participate in external meetings and speaking events, including engagements with community members, institutional and business leaders, public sector partners, and current and prospective funding partners;
- Work as a key member of the SF leadership team across its campus and functions to promote and advance the organization’s mission, implement its strategic plan, and to shape partnership development and communications strategies that elevate organizational reach and impact;
- Manage a team of experienced, creative, and impactful professionals, with the opportunity to add another high-performing colleague within the department.
- Form and lead new partnerships with Memphis-based and International foundations, individual donors, emerging investors, and corporate programming/events sponsors;
- Work with the SF team to rethink and contemporize various creative assets, beginning with the SF web presence;
- Assess and maximize the SF relationship management activities by leading an internal team through effective use of the SF Donor Management Software;
- Structure how SF communicates about distinct programs with disparate stakeholders into a cohesive strategic approach.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience at a senior level, with responsibilities that include revenue development, strategic communications, media relations, and marketing;
- Passionate about SF’s mission, and able to shape effective storytelling narratives to amplify what we do working with youth, the Stax Records legacy, economic development, and community engagement;
- Strategic thinker, self-directed leader, and collaborative team member;
- Successful track record securing corporate and foundation support through donor engagement, grant writing, and grant management;
- Strong negotiation and multi-stakeholder consensus-building skills are required, along with exceptional written and oral communication skills;
- Act as a positive role model to The Soulsville Charter School and Stax Music Academy students who are a consistent presence in the Soulsville Foundation offices;
- Proven success with staff management and enthusiasm for partnering with and mentoring colleagues;
- Represent the Soulsville Foundation as a positive, professional, and active member of the Greater Memphis Community;
- Be available to work flexible hours, including some weekends and holidays with reasonable notice;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and show proof of liability insurance coverage as required by the laws of the State of Tennessee;
- Be fully vaccinated with at least one round of the COVID19 booster vaccine.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying for this position please send a letter explaining your interest along with your current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, and be sure to include “Soulsville Advancement Director” in the subject line. All nominations and expressions of interest will be held in the strictest confidence.
Soulsville Foundation provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Soulsville Foundation complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.